EASTER EATS – Sweet and Savory Galettes
dough from Baking with Julia (Child)
INGREDIENTS, makes enough for 2-8″ galettes
3T sour cream (or yogurt or buttermilk – sub buttermilk powder 1:4, powder: water)
1/3c ice water (approx)
1c AP gluten-free flour
1/4c yellow cornmeal
7T cold unsalted butter, cut into 6-8 pieces
1. stir sour cream, yoghurt or buttermilk powder and ice water together – set aside
2. mix flour, cornmeal, sugar, and salt
3. cut butter into flour mixture with a pastry knife – pieces should range between breadcrumb sizes and small peas. I usually take the super easy path and put into my food processor and “pulse” to cut the butter.
4. sprinkle cold water sour cream mixture, 1 T at a time until moist enough to stick together when pressed
5. divide the dough into 1/2s and press each in disk shape, wrap in plastic, and
6. refrigerate for at least 2 hours (keeps up to 2 weeks in the fridge or in the freezer – perfect for galettes on demand when you feel like dressing up a meal or being the culinary hero at your community brunch)
7. roll each disk to 11″ round, 1/8″ thick
8. dough will be soft; toss flour on board and keep turning and adding additional flour as you roll it out, in order to prevent sticking
9. transfer dough to sheet pan, should slide easily; otherwise lift incremntally with a very flat wide spatula or pastry scraper
10. fill with the fruit of your choice (drizzle the rolled out dough with honey or maple syrup, fan layer with sliced fruit and top with a few slices of butter ) OR vegetables with salt and herbs (saute the veggies lightly first). Suggestions: SWEET – 1). peaches, 2). plums, 3). a blend of apples with dried fruit & nuts – dates, apricots, almonds, pecans SAVORY – 1). potatoes with rosemary, 2). sweet potatoes, beets and carrots, sage and pine nuts
11. fold over edges of galette
12. bake on cookie sheet at 400 F for 20 minutes or until golden brown. Cool about 10 minutes before serving.
13. savory galette makes for an impressive brunch baked with an egg sunnyside up and a side green salad; sweet galette with vanilla ice cream or cashew cream.