- Precut parchment paper to fit the bottom of the electric skillet.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- While oven is preheating, combine dry cake mix with baking powder and flax meal into a large mixing bowl.
- Shred and add veggies and fruit. Stir vigorously into the cake mix.
- Pour into baking pan or oven-safe skillet and cover. Cook 25 minutes or until done. Cake is done when it does not jiggle when skillet is shaken.
- Once cake is cooled, give an easy shake to loosen. Place cake platter over top of skillet and invert cake onto platter.
- May be frosted if desired.
- Here are some other great combinations:
- celery, cabbage, zucchini, carrot, apple (what I used today)
- carrots, celery, pears, potatoes, apples
- yellow squash, zucchini squash, bananas, orange
- Cooking time varies slightly based on moisture of the fruit or vegetable mix you choose, but 25 minutes is normal.
- If you check the progress of the cake by lifting the lid often, you will lengthen cooking time.
- If you happen to burn the bottom of the cake slightly, simply use a serrated knife to cut off the burned bottom. The flavor of the cake will still be perfectly in-tact.
One favorite and easy frosting is:
Made with a ripe avocado, raw cacao powder, a pinch of salt and your favorite healthy sweeter. Blend it all together in the food processor til it’s smooth, then place in the fridge to let it set before spreading.
For fun flavor combos: you can add almond extract, ground almonds and cardamom to the cake batter.